Frequently Asked Questions

General Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How much does Health Match BC charge for the service?

Health Match BC is a free health professional recruitment service funded by the Government of British Columbia. There is no charge for our services.

Will my moving and/or travel expenses be reimbursed by Health Match BC?

No, Health Match BC does not reimburse moving or travel expenses. This may be possible if negotiated with the hiring health authority.

If I register with Health Match BC, how will my personal details be used and protected?

Health Match BC will never rent, sell, share or trade your name or email address. We will only send your CV to prospective employers with your permission. All of your personal information is stored in our secure database.

I’d like to update my info but can’t remember my username and/or password?

Click here to reset your username or password on your account.

What is the education system like in British Columbia? Will I be able to enroll my children into school at any point in the school year?

Children usually go to elementary school from ages five to 12, and to secondary school (high school) from ages 13 to 17 or 18. In most cases, children can start at any time of the year that school is in session.

Most schools are closed from the end of June to the first week of September, for two weeks at the end of December, usually for a week or two in the spring during Spring Break, and for all statutory holidays.

Can my spouse/partner work in British Columbia?

If your spouse is Canadian or a permanent resident of Canada, they can work here. If you are coming to Canada on a work permit, your spouse may be entitled to an open work permit as the spouse of a skilled worker. More information can be found on the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada website.

How do I renew my temporary work visa?

Please check with your sponsoring health authority - they will initiate the process. However, you are responsible for applying for “an extension of work permit” from Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

Will I be able to find work in a community that has a place of worship for my religion?

The consultants at Health Match BC will make every effort to advise you of vacancies in areas of interest based on your professional and lifestyle criteria. Therefore, it is important to inform us of any unique criteria and needs so we can assist you in finding a community that meets your personal and professional interests.

Once I am licensed in one province in Canada, will I be able to work in all provinces?

Each province requires a separate licence. You must apply separately to each provincial regulatory body for a licence to practice.